National Cybersecurity Awareness Week 2: Keeping the office Secure.
Welcome back! This is Dover coming at you with week 2 of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This week's theme: Cybersecurity in the Workplace is Everyone’s Business. Clever, right? On a more serious note, businesses are the largest target of cyber crime not only because they have so much to lose but also because they oftentimes do not take proper internal precautions. Security measures such as firewalls and passwords are only as good as the people who put them in place and use them correctly. Here are some facts that should get you thinking about enterprise cybersecurity:
- 50% of SMBs have been breached in the past 12 months
- The majority of companies split the responsibility of businesswide cybersecurity between multiple departments, creating discontinuity and slow incident response times
- Over 59% of all businesses have no visible password policy leading to weak or shared company passwords
Luckily Cyber Secure My Business offers 5 tips to make sure your business is secure:
- Perform a company IT risk assessment and see where you need to be more secure
- Implement a plan for cybersecurity protection and make sure that all of your employees are aware of it
- Employ strategies that lead to early detection of multiple cyber threat vectors
- Develop and disseminate a plan among your company on how to best respond to a cyber security incident such a data breach or malware event
- Understand who you have a responsibility to notify following a cyber attack, whether that be the proper authorities, customers, or employees
By following these simple steps you can make sure your business does not become another cybersecurity statistic. If you would like more information about securing your business click this link to Cybersecure My Business. Check back next week for the 3rd installment of Cyber Security Awareness Month.